Poll: 35% Russians believe Trump’s win would better match Russia’s national interestsSociety & Culture October 21, 12:24
Soyuz MS-02 spacecraft docking the International Space StationScience & Space October 21, 12:01
Syria operation revealed design and production defects of Russian military hardwareMilitary & Defense October 21, 11:54
Russia baffled by Belgium’s refusal to acknowledge Hassajek village bombingRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 21, 11:41
Senator blasts Tusk’s remarks at EU summit as Russophobic fearmongeringRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 21, 10:57
Lawmaker considers Russian economy adapted to foreign policy challengesBusiness & Economy October 21, 10:43
French Senate speaker thanks Russia for humanitarian pause in AleppoWorld October 21, 9:43
Russian diplomat criticizes Ban Ki-moon for turning blind eye to terrorism in SyriaRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 21, 8:54
Brussels says numbers of aircraft involved in Aleppo strike 'not Belgian'World October 21, 8:41
MOSCOW, February 24. /TASS/. Russian President Vladimir Putin has held a telephone conversation with Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud in which explained to him the essence of the Russian-US joint statement of on Syria, the Kremlin press service reported on Wednesday. "Putin explained in detail the essence of the Syrian settlement proposals put forward in the joint statement of Russia and the United States," according to the Kremlin report.
"The king of Saudi Arabia welcomed the reached agreements and expressed readiness to cooperate with Russia for their implementation", the Kremlin said.
The sides agreed to continue contacts on this matter.
Putin’s previous telephone conversation with the Saudi king was held on Friday, February 19.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Russian president held a telephone conversation with Syrian President Bashar Assad.
On Monday evening, Russia and the United States issued a joint statement saying that the ceasefire regime in Syria would take effect on February 27 at 00:00, Damascus time (01:00, Moscow time). The statement says that the cessation of hostilities is to be applied to all parties to the Syrian conflict but for Daesh (the Arabic acronym for Islamic State) and Jabhat an-Nusra (both are banned in Russia) "or other terrorist organizations designated by the UN Security Council." Airstrikes on them will be continued.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon hailed the agreement, with his special envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura saying he was ready to support implementation of the accords either rights on the spot in Damascus or from Geneva.
According to the UN statistics, fighting between Syrian government troops and militants has killed over 220,000 people and displaced millions since its start in 2011. Gangs of militants making part of various armed formations, the most active of them being the Islamic State and Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist organizations, fight government troops.