Sniper shoots dead police officer in YerevanWorld July 30, 18:37
Putin arrives in Slovenia to have talks with president, unveil monumentRussian Politics & Diplomacy July 30, 16:51
Three humanitarian corridors organized for civilians fleeing AleppoRussian Politics & Diplomacy July 30, 16:20
Russia to argue at civil courts suspension of Russian athletes from GamesSport July 30, 13:03
FSB finds cyber-spying virus in computer networks of 20 state authoritiesRussian Politics & Diplomacy July 30, 13:01
Russian sports minister says on August 1 will present to UNESCO report on dopingSport July 30, 12:29
FINA to decide on Saturday allowing Morozov, Lobintsev to GamesSport July 30, 10:59
Volleyball player Markin not in application for Games due to problems with meldoniumSport July 30, 10:59
Russia to argue at CAS suspension of weight-lifters from Olympic Games - sports ministerSport July 30, 10:40
The OSCE will continue monitoring Ukraine’s eastern regions as closely as possible but at the moment it has to relocate its observers from Donetsk to safer places such as Kharkiv, Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk so that they could perform their monitoring functions from there, Zannier said, adding the OSCE would also cut the number of observers in the Luhansk region.
The OSCE Secretary-General added that observers lost in east Ukraine are safe.
The observer missions of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) will continue working in east Ukraine's Donetsk and Luhansk regions despite incidents when their observers went missing there, Michael Bociurkiw, a spokesman for the OSCE’s mission in Ukraine, said Monday.
As for the group of four observers that went missing while involved in planned patrols in the south of the Donetsk region, they still remained in the region according to еру latest information, he said, adding that the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission was trying to get in touch with them. Four observers of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) are nationals of Estonia, Turkey, Switzerland and Denmark
Another group was detained by armed people at a checkpoint in Starodonetsk last Thursday, and attempts to establish contact with them have failed since then. Bociurkiw also said the OSCE still had no information as to who could have been involved in the abduction of its observers and urged all groups that could be holding them to contact the organization.
Earlier another group of the OSCE observers, detained in Sloviansk on April 25, were released on May 3 with the assistance of the Russian president’s special envoy Vladimir Lukin, who took them out of the city and handed them over to Council of Europe Secretary-General Thorbjorn Jagland and representatives of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission in Ukraine. After that they headed to Donetsk wherefrom they will go to their respective home countries. The observers represent the Czech Republic, Poland and Denmark, as well as Ukraine.
A coup occurred in Ukraine in February and the country has been in turmoil since then. New people were brought to power amid riots as President Viktor Yanukovych had to leave the country the same month citing security concerns.
Massive protests against the new Ukrainian authorities erupted in Ukraine’s Russian-speaking southeastern territories after the secession of the Crimean Peninsula, which declared independence on March 11 and joined Russia on March 18 following a referendum.
The eastern Ukrainian Donetsk and Luhansk regions held referendums on May 11, in which most voters supported independence from Ukraine.
Ukraine held a presidential election set by the coup-imposed authorities on Sunday, May 25. Billionaire businessman and politician Petro Poroshenko won the election with more than 54% of the vote, with over 94% of election protocols processed, the Ukrainian Central Election Commission reported Tuesday.